Thursday 21 July 2011

Learning the basics of photography.

Since it's been years since I have studied photograpy, I decided to scour the net and brush up on some of the basics.  When I say basics, I mean, probably the most import elements of photography.

The two most important things in photography is shutter speed and aperature size.  Shutter speed is a measure of how long the film (or sensor) is exposed to light, while aperature size is the amount of light allowed to pass through the lense.

Aperature size is expressed in F/Stops, while shutter speed is expressed in fractions of a second.  I understand the importance of these, as changing the aperature size changes yoru depth of field, while shutter speeds allow you to show motion, or freeze time, in the photo.

I could explain in depth (and possibly misinform you), but it makes a lot more sense for me to direct you to this link http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm.  The author has a given us a well written, in depth explanation of F/Stop.  Probably more information that you will ever need, but it is important information...  as the F/Stop - Shutter Speed is the most important ratio in photography.

Unfortunately I have been under the weather, and we are in the middle of the hottest heat wave this region has ever seen.  So I have not spent a lot of time outside with the camera.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get outside and take a lot of pictures to show how Shutter Speed and Aperature size change the way a picture looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment